Monday, October 22, 2012

Soup's On

I'm so happy it is cooling down so I can make some yummy soups.  I do have a couple cold soups in my repetroire  but they just don't satisfy the way hot soup does.

Today I started with a recipe for Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup.  I'll give you one guess where I found this recipe.  Yep, Pinterest.com. I had to make a few adjustments.  First, I only had one sweet potato on hand.  But since I'm eating for one, that isn't such a big deal.  I did have a whole head of cauliflower and I used it so this should probably be called Cauliflower Sweet Potato soup.  Or maybe Roasted Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup. 

Since I was changing the amounts of the main ingredients, I just guessed at the rest.  I used 1/2 an onion and 2 cloves of garlic.  Oh yeah, I didn't have garam masala either so I used some Spices of India from Tastefully Simple.  Sadly, it seems that might be seasonal or discontinued so you'll have to figure that out.  My seasoning was more curry-ish, I believe.

I cut up the cauliflower and tossed it in olive oil and spices.  Then I roasted it for about 40 minutes. I cooked it longer than the recipe called for because I think the more roasted the better.  My cauliflower was not crunchy but it wasn't mushy either. 

While the cauliflower was roasting I sauteed the onion in some olive oil and then added the minced garlic once the onion was soft and translucent.  I cooked that for a bit and then tossed in the chopped up sweet potato.  I added about 3 cups of water and 1/2 cup of the Chardonnay I was planning to have with the soup.    I added some salt and pepper and some red pepper flakes.  I brought it to a boil then reduced the heat and let it cook until the sweet potato was soft - probably 30 minutes.  

When the sweet potato was done, I scooped out about a cup of veggies and then tossed a little more than half of my roasted cauliflower into the pot.  I used the immersion blender to puree that.  It came out thick and creamy.  I tasted it and decided it needed a splash of sherry.  Then I tossed the reserved veggies and remaining cauliflower back in.  I served it with crackers and Chardonnay.

Verdict: Delicious! Especially with a dollop of yogurt on the top.

Changes:  Next time I might add more liquid, both water and wine.  And I'll chop the reserved veggies to be smaller bites.  Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What about roasting the sweet potato, too! I love roasted sweet potato!

Sue said...

That is a great idea. I will definitely do that next time.