Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Scalloped Potatoes

Here's another recipe for a dish I love but have never tried making for myself. Unlike the Eggplant Parmesan recipe that kind of scared me because of the frying and the veggie I don't know much about, this is just a simple recipe I'd never taken on.

I love potatoes in most forms and I've always wanted to make scalloped potatoes, just haven't taken that step.  But I was reading a book by Diane Mott Davidson and decided the time was now.  For those of you who haven't read this series, the protagonist is a caterer and so all books involve food and there are always recipes included in the book.

The most recent book I was reading included the recipe for these scalloped potatoes.  The caterer in the book, Goldie, confessed that her secret ingredient is the caramelized onions.  She had me at caramelized.  I LOVE caramelized onions.  So I decided to cook these potatoes just for me.  And that was a great decision.  Because I have eaten most of them all by myself.

Ingredients
  • ½ tbsp Unsalted Butter
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 large Yellow Onion, sliced
  • 4 lbs Russet Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • ½ lb Gruyere, grated
  • ½ lb Comte or Fontina cheese, grated
  • ½ c Parmeasan cheese, freshly grated
  • 1 tbsp fresh Sage, chopped
  • 1 tsp Kosher Salt
  • ½ tsp Pepper
  • 2 c Heavy Cream
Instructions

  1. Melt butter & oil over med heat. Add the onions. Cook until limp and caramelized, 15-20 min. Cool slightly.
  2. Preheat 375.
  3. In a large bowl, toss grated cheeses.
  4. Layer potatoes in a 9 x 13 glass pan. Add a layer of onions. Then add a layer of cheese. Top with sage. Repeat this process until the pan is completely full, ending with cheese
  5. Stir salt & pepper into heavy cream, then pour over the potatoes. Don’t disturb the cheese
  6. Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours  until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown
8-12 servings

I didn't have sage and so I didn't add that.  I'm not sure I want to try it with the sage.  I used more onions than called for and a little less cream.  The result was wonderful deliciousness.   I will make these again.  I will probably add the cream at every layer or at least season at every level, because I think my potatoes could have used the salt, and I may cut back just a little on the cheese. But overall, this recipe makes amazing potatoes that you will love.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yum! This is a recipe I'd probably never make because of no occasion to make them...