Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Power of Complaining

For the past several years, every Thursday morning, a local paper has been tossed on my driveway. I glanced through it a few times but wasn't overly impressed. It wasn't a bad paper, just not something I was interested in. Sometimes I would take it with me to work but mostly I just tossed it in the recycle bin.

A few years ago, I called the home office and told them I prefer not to receive their paper. The editor seemed puzzled since it is a free paper. I explained I just recycle it and thought it was a waste to give it to me. For about a month after my call, I didn't receive the weekly paper. But then the deliveries resumed.

Eventually it really annoyed me that these people insisted on tossing this paper on my driveway so that every week I was responsible for disposing of it. About 6 months ago I wrote an email to the paper explaining that I didn't want to read their and wanted them to stop delivering it to me. I suggested that they give away their paper at libraries, groceries stores and coffee shops and not waste the gas driving around my neighborhood littering.

I have not received a paper since then. Every Thursday, I walk out and see papers on every driveway but mine. I wonder if I should share my email with my neighbors.

No comments: