Thursday, November 3, 2011

Fennel, Potatoes and Butter - UPDATED

My first course tonight was fennel roasted with butter and Parmesan cheese.  I got the recipe from the same Chef Boyardee book I got the Italian Potato Salad from.  I've never cooked fennel before, though I believe I have had it in salads.  For this dish, quarter the fennel and steam it or microwave it until tender; it is tender enough when you can easily push a knife into it.  Place the cooked fennel in an oven safe pan and pour some melted butter over it - I used about 2 tablespoons for one fennel bulb.  Sprinkle a tablespoon (or more) of Parmesan over the pieces. Cook the fennel in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until brown.  I turned the fennel once during the cooking, since the fennel was getting browned on the bottom but not the top.  I thought this was quite tasty.  Fennel has a slight anise (licorice) aroma but I didn't think it tasted like licorice.  I would describe it as a cross between celery and sweet onion. UPDATE: I found another recipe here that looks even better.  Fennel would go great with meat or fish.  But I didn't have either.  Instead, for my second course:

I roasted these Dutch Yellow potatoes.  I found the recipe on my new favorite site Pinterest. You cook the potatoes (I microwaved them) and then make thin slices without cutting all the way through.  Drizzle some olive oil and butter over them and add salt and pepper.  Next time I will try to separate the pieces a bit before the drizzle so more butter/oil and salt get in between them.   Roast them at 425 degrees for 40 minutes or until they are nice and brown with crispy edges.  These would also go well with meat or fish but I ate mine accompanied with Crème fraîche and tobiko and it looked like this:

And it tasted great! 

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Those potatoes remind me of this recipe I have yet to try:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-accordian-s,0,5517793.story

Sue said...

Funny how it seems you see something for the first time and then suddenly you see it all around. That link looks good too. And I saw one with bacon. I like crispy edges so this is great from my perspective.