Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Italian Potato salad

I made this Italian Potato Salad last weekend and thought it was quite yummy.  It tastes best warm or at room temperature.  I had it for lunch and then had some of the leftovers the next day.  I don't recommend it when it is cold, like you would eat typical mayonnaise based potato salad.


This recipe is adapted from Delicious Memories: Recipes and Stories From the Chef Boyardee Family  which I discovered at the Senior Library while I was working.  I picked it up because I just didn't think recipes for Chef Boyardee canned food could be interesting, let alone good tasting.  But I was very wrong.  The book shares many family recipes and, while the translation to canned food might not appeal, the home made versions seem delicious.  I will be trying several of them.


Italian Potato Salad

1 lb red potatoes   (or new potatoes or Yukon gold, whatever you like)
¼ C olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1T wine vinegar
4 T finely chopped carrot. (I used the large side of my grater)
1T chopped Italian parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the potatoes in salt water until tender.  While potatoes cook mix the remaining ingredients together and let sit.  When potatoes are cooked and still hot, cut them into chunks and mix with oil mixture.  Add a little more olive oil if necessary – the potatoes can soak it up.  Serve warm. 

No comments: