Monday, February 6, 2012

Superbowl Hummus


I don't think this picture fully conveys how delicious this hummus was.  Just believe me when I say I loved it so much I made it twice.  The first time, I used the original recipe for Baked Asiago and Caramelized Onion Hummus Dip  (found on Pinterest) and it was delicious.  I would make one change; I like a little more tang in my hummus and decided that next time I'd use some Tahini instead of the sesame oil for that reason.

When I made the hummus the second time, I picked up some Jalapeno hummus from Trader Joe's instead of making my own.  This was also delicious.  The real secret is the caramelized onion.  Just chop up an onion and saute in 1T of butter and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar until the bits are nice and brown. The sweetness is what makes the hummus so delicious.  That and the asiago cheese added first to the hummus and then sprinkled on top before browning.

I served my hummus with homemade flatbread.  I got the recipe from one of my favorite restaurants.  I had a basket of bread with my meal and the bartender let me know that how it was made.  Use flour tortillas and brush both sides with olive oil and any herbs that appeals to you.  I used some basil/balsamic dipping oil I purchased at Tastefully Simple.  Then I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on the tortillas before baking them until crisp - about 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

 Both the hummus and the flatbread will be regulars at my house.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds good! But I notice that the link to the original recipe is not working?

Susan said...

Forgot to post that I fixed the link. Thanks for the notice.