Monday, June 17, 2013

Corny Egg Breakfast

I got the idea for this dish from a quiche recipe. I'm not a huge fan of the crust so I turned it into a frittata. This picture does not do justice to the yumminess. I knew I like tomatoes and eggs but wasn't sure about corn.  It was amazing!  And the carmelized onions just made it even better.

I used the ingredient list as a guideline but then made it my own. First,  I chopped up and caramelized a medium sized onion, in a 10 inch oven-proof skillet, using butter and olive oil.  That took about 35 minutes so make sure you allow enough time.  Once the onion was done I added a minced garlic clove (or two). Then I tossed in a generous cup of frozen roasted corn and a generous cup of chopped sugar plum tomatoes.  I beat 4 eggs and added about 1/4 cup of heavy cream.  I stirred in 1/2 cup of grated cheddar/gruyere cheese and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese into the egg mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.  I poured the egg mixture over the veggies and then let it cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes to get it started setting.  I put in in a 350 degree oven to finish.  I took it out when the top was set but not firm.  I don't like overlooked eggs and theses were just perfectly soft but not mushy.

Next time I might add some cheese on top and let it brown if I can accomplish that without overcooking.  I will also probably use two onions. 

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I never leave enough time to caramelize onions and instead almost always end up burning them. :(

Susan said...

That is sad. Caramelized onions are one of my favorite things.