Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Quinoa

Debra showed me the yumminess of quinoa when I was visiting her house over Mother's Day. We went to the Lazy Acres store, which is Santa Barbara's version of Whole Foods, and picked up several things for lunch, including the quinoa salad. I liked it from the first bite and when I got home I set about learning to make it for myself.

The ingredients as listed on the container we brought home were quinoa, corn, kidney beans, green onion, olive oil, cilantro, basil and honey. I've settled on about 1 1/2 C cooked quinoa* to 1/3 C beans, 1/3 C corn (I used frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe's), 1 chopped green onion, 1 T of oil, 1 T cilantro, 1/2 T basil and a dollop of honey. Be careful with honey and the basil because they can overpower. Mix it all together and eat it warm or chill it. Delicious! Try it and adjust to your own tastes.

* Easy to cook: Twice as much water as quinoa, throw in pan, bring to a boil then simmer about 10 minutes until water is absorbed.

1 comment:

JohnnyB said...

The Wikipedia entry you linked to says quinoa is a "psuedocereal". Should it be served with soy milk and Splenda?