Sunday, October 24, 2010

R.I.P. Diva

We got Diva in 2001 shortly after our cat, Blue died.  I had decided that I wouldn't get a new cat but my other cat,  Zodiac, had other ideas.  He cried every day and night and was so lonely.  When Debra came home for Spring Break, we went and got Diva from our friend Sandra.

Diva was a tiny kitten and didn't grow to be a big cat.  She weighed about 7 pounds most of her life. I don't know if she was a diva because we named her that or if we just got it spot on when we met her.  She tolerated the other cat in the house but made sure he knew who was boss.  When Debra bought her cat here to stay while she was out of the country, Diva made poor Jasper live in the bedroom.

When Zodiac died, I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to bring home a new kitten so it's been me and Diva for the past several years.  She greeted me each night when I got home, sat with me as I worked on the computer or watched TV and she slept with me every night.  In the summer, she might leave in the middle of the night and sleep out in the living room until early morning but in the winter she snuggled down under the covers to keep warm.  She would remind me about 6 in the morning that is was time for breakfast but, if I didn't get up, she'd curl up again until I got up.

From the time she was a tiny kitten, she would rush into my bedroom as soon as I turned out the light to go to sleep.   She would snuggle up into my neck and lick my ear if I didn't cover it.  I got in the habit of putting my hand over my ear, palm up, and so she'd lick my fingers for a bit and then curl up to sleep.  I'm not sure if she was kissing me or washing me but I know I'm going to miss it.

Diva developed diabetes last December and had been on insulin since then.  I had to start boarding her when I went out of town because she needed two shots a day.  She hated being at the vet and would chastise me severely when I picked her up.  For days after a vet trip, she'd follow me around the house as if worried I'd leave again.  This weekend, when I took her in before a four day trip,  the doctor thought she detected a heart murmur and ordered some tests.  She called me the next day and said it looked like Diva's kidneys were failing and told me they were starting treatment.  That apparently initiated more heart problems and the vet called this morning to tell me Diva was failing.  I got an early plane home and got to the vet's soon enough to spend about 3 hours holding and talking to Diva.  I hope she knew I was there. She obviously had trouble breathing and keeping her alive would have been too stressful for her.  After talking it over with the vet, I decided to let her go.,

Rest in peace, Diva.  You were the best kitty anyone could have.  You brought a lot of love to my life.

DIVA BUNYAN 2001-2010


chelejean said...

**** hug ****

Maddy & Issy will pal around with Diva in Kitty Heaven.


Cali said...

I'm so sorry. RIP Diva.

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.