Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Haitian Pumpkin Soup

This Haitian Pumpkin Soup will definitely become a Fall staple for me.  It is just yummy.  One major difference is that I don't use the blender to puree the squash. I use my immersion blender. If you don't have one and if you love to make soup, you should definitely invest in one.  It will cost between $20 and $50 depending on how fancy you want to get.  No more transferring ingredients to the blender in batches.  You just put the immersion blender in the pot and puree. Easy, breezy. 

I used butternut squash.  I also added some red chile flakes for more heat.  The jalapenos add flavor but no real heat since you don't chop them up.  I made the entire recipe but didn't put the capellini in the main batch.  I pulled out the amount I wanted and added capellini to that, cooking it until tender.  I don't like pasta in leftover soups because it gets too mushy.  The capellini will definitely thicken up the soup so don't worry if it looks a little thin before you add the pasta. 

I served this with a nice Savignon Blanc (Geyser Peak) and added a spoonful of crème fraiche to the soup bowl.  You don't see that here because I ate mine before I remembered to take a picture. 

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That soup looks tasty -- I'll have to bookmark it!

Susan said...

I love it. I will make it again. Next time I will cut up some extra squash to include with the other veggies after the original squash is pureed.