Saturday, July 12, 2008

It's Only Words

I like words and not just because they come in handy when I wish to talk. I like how words can be used to communicate but I also like to see them twisted in ways that amuse me. I come by it naturally. The first time I remember laughing at being silly with words was when I was about 7 or 8 and we were driving in the car with my mom. She said, "What's that up the road, a head?" which I thought was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. It still makes me chuckle. When my brother and I were 7 and 9, respectively, our mom took us on our annual shopping trip for new summer flip flops. We didn't call them flip flops then, we call them them zorries or, more often, go aheads. We had fun picking our new footwear and were quite proud of them, so that night when our grandpa came to visit we rushed out to show him our fancy sandals. He looked at them and said "Yes, they are very nice, now why don't you go ahead to bed?" We were ROTFL. :-)

Reading the paper the other day, I paused when I read the headline, "Death Of Dolphin Under Investigation" and the first thing I wondered was why the dolphin was under investigation and whether the investigation caused his death. Seriously. And then I laughed at myself.

No comments: