Monday, July 14, 2008

The True Story

My SIL arrived Thursday night a little after 8 PM. I brought her back to my house stopping only to buy ice because, for some reason, my brother's family can not live without it. My SIL almost canceled her trip when she learned that my new refrigerator's ice maker wasn't hooked up yet. After suffering 20 years of visiting me and using bagged ice, she was sure this trip would include fresh-made ice. She did however manage to deal with factory-made ice. We put the purchased ice in the ice maker and no one was the wiser. She filled a glass with ice from the door and then covered it with refrigerated bottled water. Hey, baby, you're in Vegas now!

After our ice adventure, we settled down and went to sleep. We needed to get some sleep for our wild Friday in Las Vegas. I got up the next morning and headed to work while my SIL snoozed. I did as much work as I could in four hours and headed home at lunch time. Soon my SIL and I were lunching at the cafe at Green Valley Ranch Station and then we headed to the penny slots. At the end of the day, we were down about $20 each. We sucked up our losses and stopped at Whole Foods to get some food for dinner. The evening was spent quietly at home watching the results from So You Think You Can Dance. Then it was off to bed.

The next morning found us getting coffee at Starbucks before a visit to Ethel M's to pick out chocolates. Some to eat immediately and some for the SIL to take back to Ohio with her. We stored the chocolate at home before heading off to a GREAT lunch at I Love Sushi. It was a belated birthday lunch for me. And then we did more gambling. Another $20 down the tubes. But we had fun. And we got free gifts, if by free you mean they were given to me after we finished losing our $20.

A stop at Trader Joe's resulted in some treats for the SIL to take back to Ohio and some dinner for us. We bought artichoke ravioli and portabello mushroom ravioli to have with salad. Before heading home, we stopped by Enzo's Pizza and bought 9 garlic knots because 6 wouldn't be enough and 12 would be too many. I will not tell who ate 3 on the way home. Enzo's garlic knots are the best when warm.

When we got home, I heated up some EVOO, tossed in a couple cloves of crushed garlic and let it saute but not burn. Then I turned off the heat and added a handful of chopped basil and a clump of grated lemon peel. The aroma was enticing. We tossed in the cooked ravioli and stirred. The garlic knots had been kept warm in the oven and the salads were dressed with vinaigrette. What a great meal that was!

Sunday was mostly spent hanging around the house while SIL packed up for the next chapter in her Las Vegas adventure. I dropped her off at the Riveria where she'll spend the next few days. I headed back home to wash clothes, do some work and get ready for another work week.

And so you see, my previous summary was pretty close to the truth. Well, except for the boy toys and the gin.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I LOVE ice and cannot fault your SIL for almost canceling her trip.

Susan said...

:-) Well I'm glad she didn't and she even bought the bagged ice!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I didn't, too! It was so much fun. Even if there wasn't any gin and you hid the boy toys. :-)