Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Love Is All There Is

Last summer marked the point at which I had lived in Nevada for as long as I had previously lived in California. I realized then that it will never matter how long I live in Nevada, I will always think of myself as a Californian. And today I am profoundly ashamed of my home state. I will never understand why some people are so bent on denying civil rights to gays and lesbians. I don't understand why anyone cares who marries whom. Nothing about gay unions harms anyone. The sad thing to me is that so many of those anti same sex marriage people claim to be Christians and want to use the Bible to justify their position. The same Bible that exhorts them to beware of casting the first stone, to love their neighbors, to judge not and to turn the other check. As as practicing agnostic, I sincerely hope there is a God and a heaven where these same people will finally learn that it is not important who you love but only that you love.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Test.

JohnnyB said...

I have lived in Ohio nearly as long as I lived in California and I feel a part of both places. Both the states have let me down by voting to make gay marriage unconstitutional.

Verification word "anches": conjunction used in reference to Sonia Sotomayer: "che iss a Puerto Rican anches nominated to be a Supreme Court Justice" (is that inappropriate? Sorry)

Sue said...

Yeah, Nevada hasn't done me proud either but at least I can blame it on "those Nevadans".

Verification word "wodiva": What I say when Diva tries to jump from the top of the entertainment unit.

T said...

Some people feel that they can't win unless other people lose